Boko Haram: 30 killed in attack on Borno governor’s convoy
Boko Haram dreaded terrorist gruop attacked the Borno governor’s convoy on his way to Baga near lake Chad on Friday and 30 people were killed.
The death toll from the attack on the convoy of the Borno governor in the northeast Nigeria has risen to 30, security sources said on Saturday.
IexclusiveNews gathered that the fatalities from the attack on Friday in restive Borno state had doubled as more bodies were found and now included 12 policemen, five soldiers, four members of a government-backed militia and nine civilians.
“The tally has increased to 30 as many bodies were picked in the surrounding areas after the attack,” one of the sources said, adding that “many people were injured”.
IexclusiveNews confirmed that a convoy transporting Borno governor Babagana Umara Zulum came under attack from insurgents on Friday near the town of Baga on the shores of Lake Chad.
A second security source gave the same death toll of 30 from the assault and said the militants seized eight vehicles.
“The terrorists made away with an armoured personnel carrier, a gun truck and six sports utility vehicles in the convoy,” the source said.
Police confirmed in a statement that the attack by suspected jihadists on the “security convoy” had killed eight policemen and three government-backed militia members.
It said 13 other people had been wounded and the attack had been “successfully repelled”.
Zulum — who sources said was unhurt in the attack — had flown to the area to prepare for the return of residents displaced from Baga by the conflict.
He was driving in the convoy accompanied by government officials under tight security towards Baga ahead of the arrival of the returnees.
In July Zulum’s convoy came under gun attack from ISWAP outside Baga, forcing him to cancel his trip to the town.