7 Things You Need To Know This Monday Morning From Nigerian Newspapers
1. Popular singer and song writer, Lanre Fasasi, popularly known as Sound Sultan died yesterday after battling cancer of the throat. His death was confirmed in a statement issued by a family member, Dr Kayode Fasasi
2. Lanre Fasasi, Music star better known as Sound Sultan, has been buried in the US.The artiste died during the weekend after losing his battle to throat cancer.His wife, family members and friends attended the funeral while dressed in black.
3. Bandits have abducted the Emir of Kajuru, Alhassan Adamu, and 13 of his family members, in an early morning attack in Kajuru Local Government Area of Kaduna State.This is coming six days after the abduction of 121 students of Bethel Baptist School in Damishi town of Chikun Local Government Area in Kaduna.
4. The Kaduna State Government, led by Governor Malam Nasir El-Rufai has declared Monday, July 12 as a public holiday to honour a former Deputy Governor of the state, Arch Barnabas Bantex, who died on Sunday. This was contained in a statement issued by Muyiwa Adekeye, Special Adviser to the Governor on Media and Communication.
5. Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, on Sunday, said COVID-19 third wave has hit the state. In an address yesterday, he directed that religious, event centres and other enclosed places are to henceforth operate at 50 percent capacity.
6. Italy, yesterday, won Euro 2020, following their penalty shoot-out win over England. The game ended 1-1 after 120 minutes. Luke Shaw opened the scoring for England in the second minute before Bonucci leveled from a follow-up shot after a corner kick.
7. A diaspora group, Yoruba One Voice, has urged Yoruba people all over the world not to relent in the irrevocable campaign for self-determination for the people of the region. This was contained in the eight-point communique issued at the end of a webinar conference organised by the group, according to a statement on Sunday titled, ‘Yoruba Nation’ll forge ahead with self-determination agenda -YOV’.