7 Things You Need To Know This Friday Morning From Nigerian Newspapers
iexclusive News Nigeria brings to you today’s summary from Nigerian Newspapers
1. President Muhammadu Buhari on Thursday called on the National Assembly to swiftly approve the National Water Resources Bill. a demand that may boil a simmering fury from lawmakers and policy experts from Southern Nigeria who claimed the bill was just another proof of the Buhari regime’s desire to dominate the resource-rich part of the country.
2. Hassan Ahmed, a Major-General of the Nigerian Army, has been murdered in Abuja. Ahmed, who was recently appointed director at army headquarters, was shot dead in the Abaji area of the Federal Capital Territory on Thursday night. Director Army Public Relations, Brigadier General Onyema Nwachukwu announced the death in a statement early Friday morning.
Cocaine Being Disguised As Charcoal Seized By Police (Photos)
3. The Senate, on Thursday, confirmed the nomination of Prof. Sani Muhammad Adam, as a National Commissioner of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC). The confirmation followed a presentation of a report by its Committee on INEC.
4. The Federal Government has declared Tuesday, July 20, and Wednesday, July 21, 2021, as public holidays to mark this year’s Eid-el-Kabir celebration. The Minister of Interior, Rauf Aregbesola, made the declaration in a statement on Thursday.
5. The Senate yesterday, passed the Electoral Act (Amendment) Bill. The development followed a clause-by-clause consideration of the report of the Committee on Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).
Army General Assassinated, Wife Kidnapped in Abuja
6. The Emir of Kano, Aminu Ado Bayero, has appealed to President Muhammadu Buhari to make life easier for the masses. He also appealed to the President to improve security and address inflation in the country. The monarch made the call when he received the President at his palace on Thursday.
7. The 2019 Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) highest scorer, Ekene Ezeunala, has been offered a scholarship to study Computer Science and Mathematics at the Columbia University in New York, United State. The 17-year-old, who graduated from Meiran Community Senior High School in Lagos, scored 347 out of 400.