Nigerian Newspapers: 7 Things You Need To Know This Wednesday Morning
1. The fundamental rights suit filed by Mazi Nnamdi Kanu, leader of the proscribed Indigenous People of Biafra, IPOB, at the Abia State High Court was on Tuesday, adjourned to October 7 following the inability of the Federal Government to appear before the court. The counsel to Kanu, Aloy Ejimakor, had on August 27, 2021 filed the case demanding that the FG returns the secessionist to Kenya where he was “abducted” from.
2. Governor Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State, on Tuesday, said the State has embarked on a N10 billion cattle ranch project to centralise all herders in Kaduna. El-Rufai, who spoke with newsmen shortly after a meeting with officials of the All Progressives Congress (APC) at the party’s national secretariat in Abuja, said the project will be completed in two years.
3. The Senate, on Tuesday, considered a bill seeking stiffer punishment for the offence of abduction, wrongful restraint and confinement for ransom. The bill titled, “Abduction, Wrongful Restraints and Confinement Bill 2021” proposed a life imprisonment for anyone convicted for the offence of kidnapping, particularly where death results from the act.
4. The Northern Elders Forum says the north is a rich region and can survive on its resources without the “billions” accruing to Southern states. NEF Director of Publicity and Advocacy, Dr. Hakeem Baba-Ahmed, made this known on Tuesday during an interview.
5. The Senate has passed a bill seeking to control and manage sickle cell anaemia, a genetically inherited disease in Nigeria. The passage of the bill followed the consideration of a report by the Committee on Health (Secondary and Tertiary) at plenary on Tuesday.
6. Ahead of the 2023 general elections, prominent Nigerians have established a third force, Rescue Nigeria Project, RNP, to give Nigerians alternative platform to the All Progressives Congress, APC, and the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP. Founders of RNP include former governor of Kwara state, Ahmed Abdulfatai, Prof. Pat Utomi, Prof. Tunde Adeniran, former Governor of Cross River state, Donald Duke, Senator Lee Maeba, Usman Bugaje, Prof. Attahiru Jega, Amb. Nkoyo Toyo, Yomi Awoniyi, Dr. Rose Idi Danladi, Dr. Sadiq Gombe among others.
7. Big Brother Naija season 6 host, Ebuka obi-Uchendu has reacted to the ongoing search for Nini by other housemates. Recall that Biggie during a diary session told Nini to use a secret emergency exit upstairs and leave the house for 24 hours.