Nigerian Newspapers: 7 Things You Need To Know This Monday Morning
1. Ten more students of Bethel Baptist High School in Kaduna have been freed. According to Joseph Hayab, Chairman of Kaduna Chapter of the Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN), the 10 students were released on Sunday afternoon.
2. Terrorists suspected to be Boko Haram insurgents, on Sunday attacked the Babangida, headquarters of Tarmuwa Local Government Area of Yobe State. A resident who disclosed this to newsmen, said that the insurgents were in a gun duel with the ground troops in the area. Level of casualties are yet to be ascertained.
3. Terrorists allegedly attacked a joint military base code named “Burkusuma camp” in Sabon Birni Local Government Area of Sokoto State, killing 15 persons. A former Chairman of Sabon Birni, Engineer Idris Muhammad Gobir fondly called Danchadi who confirmed the attack, said many security operatives in the camp were still missing.
4. Nigeria’s national women’s basketball team, D’Tigress, have defeated Mali in the final of the 2021 Women Afrobasket to retain their title. D’Tigress ran riot on their opponents to end the match 59-70 in the final match played on Sunday night.
5. Housemates, Anita Singh, popularly known as Nini, Adeoluwa Okusaga Oluwapelumi, popularly known as Saga, and Queen have been evicted from the Big Brother Naija reality TV show. The duo were evicted from the show on Sunday.
6. Governor Samuel Ortom of Benue State has appealed to Nigerians for help given the worsening humanitarian crisis in the State occasioned by the over five years stay of Benue people in Internally Displaced Persons’ camps, IDPs. He said the humanitarian crisis has overstretched resources of the state and appealed for the intervention of good spirited individuals, governments, corporate organizations and civil society groups to help the government meet the needs of the IDPs.
7. Terrorists invaded the Evangelical Church of Winning All (ECWA), Gavaciwa in Kachia Local Government Area of Kaduna State on Sunday, killing a worshipper. The State Commissioner of Internal Security and Home Affairs, Samuel Aruwan, confirmed the attack, saying gunmen also killed one Nasiru Abdullahi of Gobirawan Kamacha in Bina General area of Igabi Local Government Area.